To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Here, At Home

In my heart I am an artist. I don’t see with my eyes alone…I feel colors, shapes, patterns. There are times when something wells up within me and I yearn to create what I feel when I see. But He didn’t give me any skill with a brush and paints. Instead He gave me the canvas of my home and it is here that I am free and indeed, commissioned to craft a master piece.

Here, at home, I swirl the colors of peace and serenity. I am charged to draw the lines of discipline and grace upon the hearts and minds of those who dwell here. It is my place to shade and soften the harshness of the world.

Here, at home, my touch is to be as firm and gentle as that of the potter who, with great care, molds and shapes, his hands wet as he guides the ever developing form. The subtly of my hands offering structure as character and personality emerges unique to the mysterious person God is ultimately revealing.

Here, at home, my words should adorn conversation in much the way that a poet pens words that settle and land in the heart of the reader. Kindness and truth are to resonate in the minds of my listeners the way a sonnet lingers in the ears. Effectual and profitable are earmarks of the echoes filling the house with sound.

Here, at home, I clean with the same attention to detail that a master jeweler puts into scrubbing precious stones to reveal their color and facets. I polish and work to display hearts that are grateful for the provision of all things…the jewel of contentment sparkling in much and little.

Here, at home, my life of worship and service is a symphony to my King. The love for my husband and children the refrain that rises with a crescendo and flows gently. Its rhythmic melody setting a tone of harmony for our home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful.
~sg

lovely loser said...

wow! not only did God give you the gift and skill of doing all that (and a camera) but your words! truly beautiful Mrs. Marty.