To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, July 26, 2009

What I'm Hearing

Part of our Sabbath meal each week is bread. Usually I buy whatever I'm going to use but this week I forgot to get it at the store, so Rob went to Winn Dixie and came home with extra large yummy crescent rolls for me to bake. We were all drooling over their hot yummy goodness but Claire had us rolling with laughter. Somehow she heard "casserole" instead of "crescent roll" and that's what she asked for.

The table setting, as I mentioned before, is a big part of what sets this meal apart from our other meals. This week the flowers in the center were a lovely gift from some friends who enjoyed a few pictures I had taken of their new little son. (Last week some of our delicious vegetables came from another friend's garden. I'm really enjoying how the generosity and kindness of others is impacting this special time we have each week.) The other thing on the table yesterday were sweet little Hershey kisses...a reminder tied to our Scripture reading of how our words are to be sweet and a blessing to those around us. The conversation moved around between us and the children and finally settled into a pretty big conversation that Sarah started about the right way to deal with the things from our culture like music, movies and what we read. It was an amazingly sweet time of fellowship with our daughter who is growing and maturing in her faith.
This morning Claire had us all giggling again.
Me: "Claire, come here and let Momma put your hair into pigtails."
Claire: "No, no! I don't want to be a pig!"
For some reason ponytails don't register with her as anything other than a hairstyle so we solved the problem rather quickly...but it sure made me laugh.
Church was wonderful. I'd been in sort of a funk all week...partly due to sinus pressure and partly due to my tendency to make myself the center of the world. The sermon really thumped me in the head and caused a "Snap out of it!" moment. As hard as that can be to face...and repent from...I am thankful that God does it.
One other thing that stands out in my mind was something that Pastor Jonny said in his prayer. He asked that God make our families an embassy in this foreign land. The implication and meaning of this was so beautiful to me. A few months ago Rob said we should start writing out everything we want for and from our family...everything we hope God will be pleased to do in us and through us. This is for sure going on the list. The picture of our family being a place of refuge and safety in the midst of a world hostile to our great and sovereign King is something I'm going to be dwelling on this week.
What about you? What are you thinking about? What are you hearing?

1 comments:

Al said...

I am thinking... I love me some Haddings.

al sends