To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thinking Out Loud

There comes a time...


in the life of every princess...


when she...


MUST


grow


up.

I know my girlfriends are reading this and thinking, "Is she talking about me? Is she saying I'm a baby? Immature? What?"

Yes.

No.

I'm speaking generally specific here. Meaning yes, I am talking to you. But not because of you in particular.

I am talking about you.

And I am talking about me.

I'm contemplating Sunday's sermon. I'm listening to our conversations. I'm looking at what's in my heart and and hearing the things in my head.

And we...women as a whole...Need. To. Grow. Up.

Does anyone else see the irony of living in a day and age where women are told we can be anything we want to be but we suffer from a profound identity crisis?

Or that society says we can do everything that a man can do only better because we do it backwards and in high heels? (If you're lost on this point it is a reference to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.) Yet, we are weaker and whinier...demanding that he help us...because despite the lies we want to believe...we can't do it all...we can't have it all.

I forget, I always forget, the satisfaction of seeing a big, nasty task completed. The feeling that comes from standing in the middle of messy garage and putting myself to work for hours in the heat and dust so that I can then stand back and see the beauty of order. I love that feeling!

I guess what I'm saying is we wimp out. We don't do the hard things. When faced with adversity we look for ways to avoid dealing with it. Or we blame everything and everyone else. Relationship difficulty? Fine. I'll just cut off that relationship.
Or maybe there isn't adversity in your life. (There is a major difference in genuine adversity and drama. Your life might be chock full of drama but you face no real adversity. Drama tends to be immature, lots of conversation with no resolution. Adversity is the stuff that brings you up short...that challenges who you are and what you do and what you believe and whether or not it all matches up.)
That lack of adversity? Lack of challenge to your life? A great big signal that it is time to grow up. Am I saying that unless you are in a constant state of struggle you aren't really living?
No.
But I am saying that we can't stay the pampered princess forever.
"At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens." This phrase, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of things that are shaken-that is, things that have been made-in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us to offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:27-29
I'm saying we need to ask God to shake things up in our lives. I'm saying we need to step closer to the fire.
I'm saying we need to have the princess in us grow up into a queen.
There is so much to this...what's profitable and such. But let's talk about it...let's stir each other up and pray for one another...struggling on behalf of each other that we "... may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God." (Col.4:12) "...so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro...rather, speaking truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ..." (Eph. 4:14a, & 15).

5 comments:

Lori Warman said...

O.K. ....So,.....thanks for reading Hebrews 12.

Marty said...

Hey Lloyd? I'm confused.

Donna said...

I agree. I also recommend BIG GIRLS DON'T WHINE by christian author Jan Silvious.

Marty said...

That was a super book Donna! I've read it and given a copy away:-)

Mel said...

Said so well!