To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Randomness

Our telephone finally died. I was gone so Sarah went next door to borrow a phone to call and check in with me. Kind neighbor sent a cordless home to charge that they no longer use. This is the following conversation I had with my two oldest children.

Them: "We didn't know where this went."
Me: "Oh, that goes into the phone jack."

Blank stares but some kind of understanding dawned when they saw me plug it into the wall.

Them: "So, how do we know what the number is?"

My turn for a blank stare.

Me: "Girls, the phone is just one you pick up at Walmart. They don't have phone numbers. Our number will stay the same."

Them: "Ooooooooooh. Awesome."


I spent some time today at the kids' school. Two very sweet friends were having a discussion about grammar mistakes in something they were reading. I was silently giggling at some of them myself when all of a sudden something dawned on me.
Uh-oh.
"Just out of curiosity...uhm, do either one of you read our family blog?"

2 comments:

s g said...

um... you'll have to explain to me how the cordless phone knows it has a new home. Keep in mind, my telephone confusion comes genetically. My sister thought that every deaf person should have a phone that lit up so they'd know they had a phone call.

Now that I've made the above confession, maybe it's too late to ask if your friends from the school read this blog. Well - just another reason I go around blogdom incognito.

Anonymous said...

ahem . . . .cough, cough :)