To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The camera had been safely put away after capturing silly moments of wet fun. I was outside fully intending to splash a little bit with the kids but I seriously underestimated my kids and their determination to soak Mom.
We have two hoses and looking Sarah dead in the eye I reached for one, my intent clear. With a steely eyed glare of her own she reached for the other hose. Without hestitation we drew on one another. Streams of water clashing together, drenching ourselves as much as each other.
Suddenly my hose stopped working! Turning around, peering through a mass of stringy wet hair, I spy Emily. Sneaky Emily with an evil satisfied smirk on her face.
"Emily!" I screamed, pleading for her to turn my hose back on.
She did not. For a little bit anyway.
Eventually an even battle resumed, if you can call even three against one. Abby is to tender hearted to aggressively go after Mom and at first the whole concept of Mom getting wet freaked Claire out.
Sarah, Emily and Sam had no problem though. Sarah would do a full on frontal attack while Emily would sneak around with loaded buckets.
"Oh, I'm just going to water some plants Mom. Not gonna splash you or anything!"
She lied. Repeatedly.
Sam was hilarious. The boy cannot lie.
"Mom, can you feel this bucket up for me?"
"I don't know, son. Are you going to throw it on me?"
"Yes!" And then he'd just grinned this wickedly, happy grin.

There are other things I want to blog about. I actually do have a recipe I tried out over the weekend for a Nutty Bar Cheesecake. And we've started a new family tradition that I really want to share with you. I've taken some fun pictures in the past week or so as well.
But for now...I'm just enjoying my family.

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson

1 comments:

Paula said...

I am just the proudest grandmother, mother, and mother-in-law in the world. What a blessing your family is to me. I love you all so very much. I am so blessed!!!!