To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Beachin' It

Some of my best and happiest memories are times spent at the beach with my family. We went a lot, or at least it seems to me that we did. The warm breeze, gritty sand, and sun glitting off my Dad's fishing line...sandwiches and kool-aid...cool evenings when we'd spend the night and sit around a fire...the sound of the surf lulling us to sleep...my Dad and Mom and my sisters.
(There is a particular silly memory of my Dad teasing my Mother while she laid on her stomach to sun bath because everytime she sneezed her leg would bend...do you Sisters remember that?) I remember rolling down sand dunes with my little sister seeing who could reach the bottom first. Another favorite memory is the time we were all riding the waves and one of my sisters (I'll withold which one to protect her dignity :-) had what you could call a wardrobe malfunction. I think the rest of us almost drowned we laughed so hard.
I still love the beach with it's tangy saltiness and beautiful wildness and freedom. Although as a mother now I do wonder how my Mother remained so calm and unruffled...I feel like I am constantly making sure no one has floated away or is in danger of drowning.
Anyway, yesterday was a perfect beach day...not to hot and a gorgeous calm gulf. Rob had a conference last night and I knew he wouldn't be home until late so the kids and I spent the afternoon down by Portofino. Then we drove down Ft. Pickins and looked around some...we're planning to go back there soon. It was a beauitful and peaceful...it's my favorite place. (Rob promises if I get on a mountain lake I'll never look back but until that day...)




PS The smell of Noxema always reminds me of trips to the beach as a kid...we'd slather that stuff on after our showers to cool our heated skin from a day in the sun.
Where's your favorite place?

0 comments: