To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wouldn't you just know it? Our computer...well, let's just say it's having issues. I should have figured the moment I committed to blogging something specific every Monday that I was asking for technical backlash.
But I am happy to report that I did do the major part which was to try a new recipe. And let me tell you the avocado and bacon salad was simply yummy! A thumbs up from me and Rob and our friend Becky. Yes, I know it is quite the risk to try a brand new recipe out on unsuspecting friends but I did make sure that the rest of dinner was traditional, no surprise fare. I must say that the salad not only tasted good but it also looked very pretty nestled on top of red leaf lettuce. Mind you the pictures I took, (Were you doubting there would be pictures? Surely not!) are being held hostage by the ill mannered machinery sitting on the desk at home so you'll have to take my word for it. Or better yet, try it out for yourself.
2 Avocados peeled and chopped
(Timing is essential with this...not rip enough and they taste bitter...too ripe and they mush instead of chop...ask me how I know :-)
4 Slices of bacon cut into pieces and cooked
Chopped green onion
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup sour cream
Gently mix all together and spoon onto red leaf lettuce and enjoy! (If you do try it be sure to come back and let me know what you think!)
I made mine and chilled it for a few minutes while I got the rest of dinner ready. Also, the recipe doesn't make a lot...or maybe my portions were too big. There was just enough for the three of us grown ups...big relief to the kids who weren't real excited about something with avocados in it.
So I'm not sure what I'll do this week. I'm doing some serious, heavy duty cleaning and purging of stuff this week so there may not be anything new happening in the kitchen.
We'll just have to see I guess.

0 comments: