To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday, Monday

We're off to the start of what promises to be another scorcher of a week. Can you believe this heat already? Friends with pools say that it really doesn't even cool you off to swim because the water is so warm. Another friend planned to go to the beach and said it was just too hot to go. And it's only June...oy!
But it's never to hot to eat right? (Too hot to cook, yes...to eat? Nah:-) Our church eats together every Sunday. It is part of our worship and fellowship and we really love that time. Unfortunately, I fell into the trap of convenience and what I brought to the table showed it. Uninspired, almost always in a crock pot fare became the standard. Reminding myself that we were gathering for a meal as the saints of God feasting on His bounty and goodness forced me to stop going for quick and easy on Sunday's menu. I realize that the lunch time can be considered just as lunch time but I want it to mean more in my life because when I value it as more than that it becomes more. It becomes an opportunity for me to praise God for His abundant and gracious provision in meeting my physical needs and a way for me to encourage my brothers and sisters to see His goodness. (It also very neatly connects with the desire to "up the anty" in the kitchen that I mentioned a few weeks back.)
Anyway, the last few weeks I have been much more deliberate in my planning and preparation of what I'll take for lunch on Sunday's. I don't want to just bring one or two things but a whole meal. I mean the point is to provide a meal for your family anyway and I wouldn't just offer them a casserole. I'd have something with it. So I do the same knowing that not only my family will partake of what I bring. To be honest, some Sunday's I don't even eat what I bring...we have some really amazing cooks in our church and I thoroughly enjoy feasting on their tasty offerings. (Yesterday it was Ms. Reba's chicken and dumplings!)
Yesterday I made beef tips with rice and gravy and promptly forgot a vegetable so as you can tell I still have some work to do. But honestly, I got so excited about dessert that I just forgot.
I made a berry trifle. Simple I know, but I'd never done one before and all the fresh blueberries, strawberries and raspberries were just so yummy! I baked the cake the night before so it would be easy to cut into pieces. Layering it with cool whip and the fruit and viola...a lovely dessert that was gobbled up. There is something happy and joyful about pretty food. Even the simplest of things can become the meal of a celebration...and friendship and fellowship becomes another way of worshipping our loving God.
So what's cooking in your kitchen?

0 comments: