To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, June 8, 2009

Monday Menus


I like blogs. I like reading blogs. I like being inspired by blogs. I like learning something new from blogs. I like reading people's stories on blogs. Consequently, I have a bunch of blogs that I read on a fairly regular basis. A few of the most interesting ones to me are put out there by women who are thrifty and creative in caring for their families. Some of them even have this nifty thing where they post their menu for the week on Monday, sharing not only their recipes but also how much they spent on each meal. And let me tell you...there are some serious, economically ingenious women in cyberspace. (For a shameless plug on money saving...visit my friend Mel...her family blog is listed on our blog roll to the right but the link I put in this post is for her money saving, coupon clipping, product testing portal to financial bounty.)
Anyway...
I doubt you'll find anything that in depth or helpful on my blog :-) However, there are some exciting things (at least to us) planned to happen this summer that I will try to share with you. One thing I want to do is bump up my kitchen skills a notch so each week I will try a new recipe and post its success or failure on the following Monday. I'll also include my family's thoughts which should be entertaining.
Yummy!
Some things I'm looking forward to...making my own yogurt, grinding the wheat and making homemade bread, and loads of simple, healthy recipes like a yummy sounding avocado salad.
Oh, and feasting. We have several other friends that want to really enjoy food and the community it should inspire so we will feast this summer. We'll plan and anticipate and celebrate God's goodness and His generosity.
So, stay tuned. And please, feel free to drop me an old family recipe and maybe we'll give it a try.
Summer Goodness

4 comments:

amanda m said...

I also enjoy grinding my own wheat and baking fresh. Try this recipe, we really love it and it is very adaptable. Well, you can make bread or rolls.. I guess that isn't actually incredibly adaptable. :)

2C hot water (tap hot)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp salt
3 TBSP yeast
5C freshly milled hard white or hard red wheat flour

Mix all until it pulls away from mixing bowl

Let rise in bowl 30 min

Shape into loaves

Rise again 30 min

Bake 30 min at 350

Eat and enjoy! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, this is close to my recipe, but I like different variations.
I also include dry milk, dough
enhancer,and real salt instead of table salt. It has minerals. I like the Golden 86 soft wheat.

Sounds like a fun summer.
Shannon is excited about her garden
coming in for the first time. She is already harvesting from it.
Hope your up and doing well.
W.K.

Health said...

Having a healthy breakfast makes all the difference, so it's vital that you get your day started right.
Here is your Finding Recipes which makes u to cook easier.
* 1 cup coffee, could be instant coffee
* 1 dose low card protein powder, vanilla or chocolate, preferably a 90% protein content
* 1/3 cup skim milk
* 1 banana
* 1 cup of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries; the proportions don’t matter, up to your taste
* sweetener to taste, advisable to avoid white sugar, so use honey or Agave syrup instead
* 3-4 ice cubes
A High Energy Breakfast Shake.
Easy to prepare. Hope you like it.

Marty said...

Oh, yum, Amanda! I'll share that recipe with my friend when we go to her house and make the bread...have you ever done the yogurt for the girls?

I can't wait until next year...I want to plant a garden too! I'm happy for Shannon that her's is going well. I bet that cute little grandbaby of yours loves it :-)

Health...I agree about breakfast. My big challenge this summer is weaning our family off of cereal. I bet the grocery bill will drop when we do! I'll visit your recipe when we pick our blueberries at the end of the month :-)