To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Randomness

When your heart and mind is full and overflowing with the gracious, love and wonder of Christ, it is an instinctive without thought response to bless others.
********************************************
I love being able to open my windows and feel the wind.
********************************************
Hobby Lobby closes waaaay to early. I mean, eight o'clock people? Seriously!?
********************************************
Claire's response when asked where all her curls came from:
"God made them for me."
********************************************
There is nothing more humbling than seeing
God work in the life of your children. Sarah babysat
for us on Thursday night while we were at the
graduation service for Trinitas. It seems that her and her
siblings were forgetting to be kind so she grabbed her Bible
and they looked up the word kindness and had some
discussion over what this means...why we are to be kind...
the fact that God was kind to us when we didn't deserve
kindness. Later, Emily walks up to Sarah and
thanks her for correcting her.
****************************************
I am sick and tired of seeing women dress is less than
flattering, immodest clothes...and then having to watch them
adjust their bosom in front of every man, woman, and child
present as if they were in the privacy of their own home.
*****************************************
Being married to your best friend and the lover of your heart
is an amazing gift.
*****************************************
Spending the day with friends doing whatever is a good day.
****************************************
A craft hot glue stick has had a profound effect upon
my child's willingness to obey.
***************************************
I do not like Books-A-Million. Turns out I am
a Barnes and Noble gal.
***************************************
Quote of the day:
"Exhorting one another to love and good deeds is a key ingredient
of true friendship and mutual communion. No friendship is
profitable to me if I am not being provoked to love and good
deeds through it. If it is not profitable, then I need either to
restructure the parameters of that friendship or break it off all
together. If I am not being provoked to love and good works, then
I am being provoked toward backsliding, stagnation, and rebellion.
No friendship holds its participants in neutral. If a relationship
is not provoking you to holiness, it is provoking you to unrighteousness,
and if it cannot be changed, it must dissolved."
Steve Wilkins
Face to Face
page 69
Now ponder your friendships today. Ponder the friendships of your children.
I'm pretty sure that if your child's friendships are provoking them to
unrighteousness it's possibly because yours are too.

3 comments:

amanda marchlewski said...

I enjoy your blog, Marty.

Anna said...

Face to Face is on my summer reading list. I have heard so many wonderful pieces of it. I can't wait.

Marty said...

Thanks Amanda :-)
Anna, the book is one of the best things I've read in a while...really good stuff.