To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, May 4, 2009

My Homekeeping Mission

"A wise woman builds her home but the foolish woman tears it down with her hands." Proverbs 14:1
There have been some changes recently in several spheres of my life. Within the last few months two (!) elders have been installed in our church. I cannot express to you how that has eased the joyful burden of pastoring for this family! With those two men have come their wives...each a lovely woman of God. Marseilles has such a gift and love for homekeeping and organization and Linda embodies the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit.
Then there has been Rob's appointment to the Board of Governors for Trinitas. (I recently asked him if he expected it to be such a big deal, the work he would do there with those men. He said he had hoped that it would be real and substantial. Last week I had the opportunity to sit in on part of their meeting and I walked out with two thoughts uppermost in my mind. First, I am so glad I am not the one making the decisions and choices that they must make. Second, I hoped that the parents at the school pray for them as they endeavor to do God's will at the school.) There are five men who serve on the board. And along with those men are their five wives who are again all lovely, godly women.
In a more personal area I am watching my Mother as she is going through the process of watching the life of her Mother come to an end. Grace and the comfort of knowing the Comforter is being lived out daily as this season plays out in her life. My Mother-in-law is growing more in her faith than ever before and is learning to trust God is ways she has never experienced until now. She is more at peace and content even in hard things than I've ever known her to be.
Suddenly I am overwhelmed by the examples of Biblical femininity I'm surrounded with...women who are strong and courageous, women with true servant hearts, women who desire in word and deed to glorify God in all that they do.
And I am humbled. And convicted. Pride has been...is being...confronted. There is a nudging and a whispered "It's time to grow up" echoing in my heart. I'm entering...I hope...into a time of pruning...(did I really just say that?!). Painful but so welcome in this life I have that I so want to be an offering to my King.
I'm going to do some studying on the home and womanhood. Each week I'll probably post a new homekeeping mission as I clarify some things in my own heart and mind as God leads. This first one though has to be about making a choice. Wise or foolish woman? Which will I be? Will I tear down my home with my own hands? Or will I look and accept the wealth of examples of women in my life who are building their homes in accord with God's Word? My homekeeping mission this week is to be wise...to search out the Scriptures and to learn from the women of faith around me.
What is your homekeeping mission?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. You are always transparent and that is so refreshing. One of my struggles with the Church is people's fear that sharing their own struggles openly will make them appear like they have sin or something!

My personal battle in the home this week is confronting my reactions. I hate how often I react to an event and then have to back-track. My struggle is to pause my reaction long enough to ask myself, "why am I inclined to react this way and how should I be responding instead?" The split second following a minor crisis is NOT my shining moment.

So when the shattering of glass, splashing of large amounts of water, or the crash of overturned furniture sends me rushing to the scene of the crime where I catch a toddler red-handed, my challenge this week is to pause before reacting. And think NOT about how ticked I am, but about the sin-struggle my child is involved in at that very moment (and the sin struggle I AM involved in for that matter!) and how to deal with it in a Godly and productive way. Too often my "haste makes waste"--in this case of a teaching opportunity (and often my testimony).

My erupting in a moment of angst puts the focus on the deed done and not on the need of the heart. Without the Holy Spirit, this would be a true Mission Impossible for me.

Building my house takes such painstaking, deliberate effort; but tearing down can happen in a thoughtless instant.

Thanks for sharing,
Marit

Anonymous said...

Very well put. I would expect no less from the daughter of Marie Anthony, granddaughter of Marie Walker.

daddy

Marty said...

Thanks Pop!
Sweet Marit...I sure do miss you!