To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, May 8, 2009


I met him when I was fifteen or so. I had such a huge crush on him...an older man as he was all of twenty-four. What I remember most is how very gentle and kind he was about my obvious affection for him. Hazy memories shift and dance in my mind making me smile when I think of that time. (He looked like McGyver. Seriously, he had the hair for it and if you look at pictures of Richard Dean Anderson you can still see the resemblance...only Rob is waaaay cuter :-) It would be another decade before God joined us together as husband and wife.

Our anniversary is today. Ten years I have been blessed to be his wife. Ten years of loving and being loved by him. He has proven himself to be steady and sure. Humble and gracious. There have been times in the pastorate when he's had to counsel a couple. He doesn't ever tell me what they discuss but he always answers my one question..."Does that man love his wife like you love me?" I know, no matter what crisis the couple may be facing, if that wife is loved the way I am loved, they will be able to work it out.

It's not just that my life is happier or better because he is my husband. It's richer. Every aspect is enhanced because of who he is...as a husband, a father, a friend, a brother in Christ. I think it is fitting that in the Bible the number ten implies that nothing is wanting; that the number and order are perfect; that the whole cycle is complete. I can surely say that I lack nothing and of all women I am most blessed. (Mind you I am only taking this number thing so far because the number eleven represents something altogether not as lovely...disorder and disorganization :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOPS HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ROB AND MARTY !!!!!!!!! Love you guys.

Julie

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you two for making it this far... I love you both and congratulations on your 10th anniversary...
Love you both very much,
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Marty.
wanda

echoesfromthepast said...

Yeah, yeah. He's okay, but be careful about giving him the big head. Seriously, Happy Anniversary!

Jonny

s g said...

Hoping y'all have a wonderful tenth year together.

~Susan

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs Rob Hadding.
Love to you both,
Rebecca in NC

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Reba