To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, March 23, 2009

It's no secret that I enjoy photography. It's a passion...a hobby...a creative outlet. I know that in the eight years I've been doing it I've learned a lot; not just about taking pictures but about myself...about God, the Creator...about His Son in whom all things hold together. And so I've had this stash...a little horde of money since Christmas. Waiting for just the right thing to spend it on...for myself. A sweet little lens that is good for portraits with a silky smooth bokeh.

Then this morning I read this and I was deeply moved. Maybe because on the way to school I was able to hit the drive thru of Starbucks...or maybe because I did my grocery shopping and I got excited about tonight's yummy dinner of meat to grill and fresh veggies. But after I read that story all this stuff came into sharp relief and I just couldn't move past it.

I don't think I'll be getting that lens anytime soon. I think I'm going to buy some rice instead. And I think tonight I'll eat with a little more gratitude...and our conversation will focus more on our responsibility to not just recognise the suffering of others...but what we can do to help ease it.

0 comments: