To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, January 26, 2009

Aware

I don't know about your house but in mine the ceiling fans run 24/7. Somehow though, Sam & Abby's fan was turned off yesterday...I won't gross you out with the details but suffice it to say it was not a pretty sight. My beloved husband pulled out the vacuum cleaner and went to work getting rid of the first (second...third...fourth...) layer of dust. He also showed me how I could clean the dust off the ceiling without swiping a bunch of that popcorny stuff onto my head...by doing ONE little round spot. Which of course made the rest of the ceiling look...well...really, really bad. I had noticed it before of course...put hadn't really paid much attention. I mean, seriously with all the stuff on the floor who is going to notice the ceiling?!
But this morning I pulled the vacuum cleaner back out and hopping from bed to chair to bed to chair and back again managed to dust the ceiling. And then I polished the fan off nice and lemony clean. And that's when I noticed how badly their walls needed to be washed...so I got a bucket of warm water and my bleach cleaner and went to work. Which of course made me realize how badly the wall in the hallway looked...a fresh bucket of warm water and I was on my knees again.
(Mind you in the midst of this Sam and I were working on learning his +9's and confirming to Claire that yes, indeed the cleaner would hurt her...) Multi-tasking I know but not so busy to not notice that the rest of the walls in the living room should probably get a quick rub down...and they of course circle into the dining room that is a straight shot into the kitchen and gee don't those cabinets look icky? Oh, and I'd better wash the kitchen rug while I'm at it and grab the two in the computer room on my way down to the laundry. But you know what? My house looks good, smells good and I feel good. It was a busy, productive day. And it made me think...about the one word project over at Shutter Sisters. Through them I had read about Ali and her one word for the year ...and wondered if I could pick a single word to focus on for a year...a day...a week...a month. Today's post on the SS blog won me over though...I can do it for a month and take pictures inspired by my one word. The idea collided with my cleaning spree and viola! I had my one word... aware
I want to be aware of my limits...and push against them.
I want to be aware of words that shouldn't be spoken...and ones that should be given voice.
I want to be aware of the beauty of big things...and the joy of small ones.
I want to be aware of life...happening all around me.
I want to be aware of my faults and sins...and my strengths and triumphs.
And yes, even aware of the dusty corners of my home and heart and mind.
Aware: noticing or realizing something: mindful that something exists because you notice it or realize that it is happening

3 comments:

Brian and Jessica said...

I really enjoyed reading this and learning from you. I like that word "aware" though I don't always nod to the feelings that come along with being aware...But I am 'aware' that being aware is better than not being aware.

=)
Love you, Marty.
You inspire me to push the limit on to trusting Christ with every ounce of me.

jessica

Anonymous said...

You heard it from your daddy all of your life;
"Don't just blunder through life unconscious, pay attention."

Remember hearing that?

ya daddy

nana said...

cool!very creative!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色