To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Saturday was one of those perfect-get-a-ton-of-stuff-done days. Rob was home the whole day which in and of itself made it special and we decided that the television grave yard in our garage needed to go, along with some other stuff ready for the dump. My beloved even culled through stuff on his side of the garage so it is spit shine clean.
All Christmas decorations are nestled in the attic for next year. Gasp! I realize some of you may not know this about me...but Christmas night or the day after my tree comes down. After the happy activity of the holidays I am ready to have my house back as soon as possible. This year the de-decorating was extra nice because my beautiful warrior princess did it for me...without even being asked mind you :-)
Did I mention that my beloved also cleaned my van inside and out? And I got caught up on laundry? And I cleaned off the bookshelf in the computer room? And we bought a dining room table that now allows our whole family to sit together for a meal? So long high chair and welcome to the big people table Claire!
Sunday got an early start with Abby waking at 4 am throwing up. It lasted for about 12 hours so by late afternoon she was weary but her tummy had settled. So far no one else shows any signs of passing it along. Maybe it was something she ate? (This is me with my fingers crossed.)
Because I missed church I was able to finish "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis...it's the kind of story that becomes something unexpected...the kind that just lands somewhere quietly inside and will stay with me awhile. "I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice?"
We have a few errands to run this morning...I plan on cleaning out my linen closet today or tomorrow...and we have a Wise Party to plan for Thursday...I'll explain about that in another post later this week.
I've also got a New Year's post bubbling in my head which I hope to get out in the next day or so. Until then...click on the new side link for Shutter Sisters and enjoy a blog full of photo goodness and sweet stories.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Just surfing by. Merry Christmas and may God bless your new year.

WunderMom said...

Busy weekend!

Did you just love Till We Have Faces? I said I would read it again with you but got caught up reading some George MacDonald. At The Back Of The North Wind. I may put it aside and re-read Faces. There's so much to digest in that book you can't really do it in one reading. You have to let it settle for a while then give it another go.

:-)

marty said...

Haha...I put aside George McDonald's fairytales :-)
Faces is for surre one I will read again.