To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, November 29, 2008

We're Back!

The computer crashed but thanks to my amazing and wonderful spouse...it is up and running! I'm not sure if I realized how much of my life was connected to this box sitting on my desk but I have a clue now thank you very much. Part of it I really adjusted to quickly...going without the blogs and stuff...but man, oh, man my banking and online bill stuff? That I need :-)
Anyway...here is an overdue Thanksgiving greeting from the kids...


Now for something really simple and fun to make...I took a photo of each child in Emily's class and turned it into the cutest party favor ever. (We were celebrating the birthday of Mrs. Phillips...the greatest 3rd grade teacher ever :-)
First choose your 4x6 picture...it has to be in a landscape layout to work correctly.

Second, on the back of the photo add glue to both long sides as well as one short side. I used some kind of super sticky scrapbook glue stuff you buy at Walmart. I guess you could use double sided tape...I even did a few with a hot glue gun.

Third, roll it into a tube and press the glue seam together. (You might want to clothes pin this for a second while you work on the bottom seam and fill it with candy...this will make sure the glue has time to set.
Fourth, pinch the bottom end together.

Fifth, fill with candy. Mine held about five Kisses.

Sixth, you will pinch the top closed but you want to go in the opposite direction of the way you closed the bottom. (It's a good idea to "almost" close the bottom so you can see which direction will give the best view of the picture's subject.)

And viola! Instant party favors that are way cute and cheap to make.

You can go here to check out where I got the directions from...you'll also find some more super fun and easy craft ideas.

4 comments:

Kevin Heifner said...

The husband of yours is a computer genius.

Rob H said...

Genius? Moi? T'ain't so, my brother. More like blind squirrel=me, acorn=problem.

Rose said...

I love the picture of your kids, and the neat craft idea! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

How cool,! Love the pics of the kids.

~Wanda K.