To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sam's World

Last year our sweet friend Carol made all the kids blankets...beautiful, bright, fluffy, soft yarn blankets. Sam especially enjoys his...which is why we heard a heart broken scream about two weeks ago coming from his room. He had pulled a piece of the yarn and his blanket was "broken". We consoled as best we could, putting the blanket in a safe place, promising to see if Mrs. Carol could fix it. She, being the wonder blanket making guru that she is, fixed the blanket and returned it to Sam this morning at church. He was ecstatic...joyfully showing it off to anyone and everyone.
Fast forward a few hours and we are now at home and Sam wants his blanket from the van. The back of the van. The back of the van that is parked in the garage. The back of the van that is parked in the garage and would be a real hassle to open the garage door, open the van door...blah, blah, blah. Really not a lot of trouble but more trouble than a tired and worn out Dad & Mom really wanted to go into at the moment. Sam, of course was not happy. As a matter of fact he was the exact opposite of happy...convinced someone would steal the blanket. So convinced that someone would steal the blanket that he printed a special edition newspaper...

Sam, by the way, is the very angry man...the other characters he drew were all reported suspects in the case. Notice that fourth from the left on the top row is Blinky. That's right...the spooky ghost from Pac-Man has continued in a life of crime apparently. However, Blinky was not guilty of this heinous crime nor was Archibald Asparagus, fourth from the left on the bottom row. (Times have gotten really hard for those veggies since Big Idea Productions sold out to NBC or whoever it was.) No, the guilty party is a relative newcomer...Gory, (pronounced Jory)who is the diabolical criminal pictured on the far left of the bottom row.
I'm not really sure how the case was solved...an anonymous tip I believe...but the next edition of the paper showed a much happier man with his lovely blanket.

9 comments:

Misty said...

Tell Sam is newspaper is excellent! Tell him Mrs. Hei-f-ner said so! I look forward to the next addition!

Misty said...

I meant to say his! OOPS

Chamfam said...

LOVE IT! Thant is absolutely hilarious! Sam is a riot! I see his future career in crime sketching - for sure. This will last for quite some time as a thought that will come back to me and make me laugh out loud. Love that boy!

WunderMom said...

Bwa-ha-ha!! Oh, that's priceless! I can't wait to show Wesley. He's gonna crack up!

I think some of my favorite posts of yours are the ones where you show Sam's work. And I just have to say I recognized Archibald with his monocle right away. And isn't that Larry to the left? And look to the right of Archie...upper left corner. I'd swear that's a green olive with hair.

Yeah, Sam was definitely showing his blanket off to everyone at church. I've never seen him so proud! I love how he calls it his "lovely blanket"! So sweet!!

Sam's Family said...

You've got good eyes BeckyJ...that is Larry...times really are hard for those poor veggies :-)

WunderBoy said...

I recognize Square Man up in the right corner, and there's Pinnochio Marlin below him. I don't see anything guilty about those two. They're actually my favorite characters.

Rose said...

I love this! Hilarious! I love to see all of the wonderful things Sam can do. It gives me hope for Zac. Very encouraging!

Mel said...

LOL! He was beaming when he showed me his blanket on Sunday.
What a character Sam is. Your house must be filled with great memories!
Thanks for posting about it - it made me giggle.

Anonymous said...

Sam was so excited about the blanket on Sunday.Isn't Carol just amazing and loving? I love my blanket too.
Glad Sam, mom and dad are comforted.
~Wanda K