To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bits and Pieces

What a dreary looking Saturday morning!Gray and damp, it is just the right kind of morning to snuggle in with a warm cup of hot choc-co-lat as Claire calls it. The kids are sipping as I type, listening to Lux Radio Theater's December 25, 1939 reading of Pinocchio. Our wonderful friend from the Mutiny shared this with us...what a treasure to listen to the old radio programming! I think Emily wants us to get hold of the Lone Ranger episodes next.
Abby had her first field trip this week. She and Grandma joined the K-4 and K-5 classes visiting a miniature horse farm in Pensacola. She thrilled to having her Grandma with her and getting to ride the daddy horse.
We had our first round of parent/teacher conferences this week. No surprises as the teachers are wonderful at keeping you informed but it was nice to have a scheduled time to visit for a few minutes. Sarah is doing fine...all A's and one B...hard worker, sweet and respectful but needs to put herself out more in group discussions. Difficult for a 13 year old to do as the idea of looking silly looms large in her head. Emily is doing wonderfully but also needs to be encouraged to participate verbally. I kind of laugh hearing this from their teachers because at home they don't stop talking! Abby is just a joy according to Mrs. Scott...and several other teachers...and several other parents :-) Her sunny disposition and sweet hugs are earning her quite the reputation at the school. Sam has asked for a green jeep to drive, all the while assuring me that he'll honk whenever he sees me. Apparently the legal driving age can be waived in his mind. Claire has finally begun to ask for pone-tails for her hair. She looks so stinkin cute with that little waterfall of hair and the wispy curls. (She also has a serious Gene Wilder thing happening when the ponytail comes down :-)
In other news...I'm trying to get more creative in the kitchen. I made a yummy 15 bean soup a few weeks back and this week some delicious homemade lasagna. My sweet friend Lauren ( of home decorating and thriftiness fame) had me over for lunch this week. She made this uber good pasta with tomato and avocado sauce that I'm going to spring on the family this week with garlic bread and salad.
A wonderful couple at church has been facilitating a Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey class. Rob goes and then we watch the dvd's together and do the homework. It has been an amazing and eye opening experience for us. We are over half way to our first baby step emergency fund (yippee!) and learning some very cool things about money...how to spend, how to budget, and how to save.
I don't know how much gas is near you but last night we were doing a jig at our local gas station because I actually got change back from $40 when we filled the tank on the van...a measly $2.49 a gallon. Hmmm, ten years ago we were paying an average of .95 a gallon.
We have a crazy busy week coming up. But I'm not going to think about it this morning...right now I'm going to get a fresh cup of coffee and go listen to Pinocchio.
Have a blessed weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it is soo beautiful and sunny here. The kids and I always loved listening to the books being read and they even liked watching the old videos of a subject.
The 15 bean soup was one of our favorite soups. So many things you can do with it.
Good job in school kids!
WK

Anonymous said...

Your Mother and I lulled away the am by preparing our practice ballota. The day had cleared and was sunny for us to go downtown and vote. Then on to I-Hops.
great morning.
This is Saturday at the movies at the church 15:00, so I'll be busy the rest of the day! Great stuff.
daddy

Sam's Family said...

Oh, I want IHOPS :-)

s g said...

it's Sat evening now... I've spent the day mostly watching movies. (Indiana Jones, Iron Man, Second Hand Lions) Won't this cold ever go away? The day turned out so nice - we had the windows open until a neighbor started burning leaves. Your soup sounds good. I'm proud of your girls.

Sam's Family said...

Hey, we just watched Iron Man this week when Rob was sick :-)
They did a great job setting up for a sequel I thought. Hope you feel better soon.

WunderMom said...

My sweet hubby and I had a wonderful breakfast date at Bass' restaurant while the boys slept in. Then we drove around a while, turning down streets we've never noticed before. What a gorgeous morning it was!