To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Random Stuff

On Wednesday we celebrated Abby's birthday with her school friends during morning snack and recess. Her teacher...(we love Mrs. Scott!)...had each child ask Abby a question. We got the expected what's-your-favorite-food/color/pet questions but then we got to our new friend Aden...his question?
"Have you ever been in a blizzard?" He gets point for thinking outside the box.

Another little girl asked my sweet child what is her favorite thing to do? With but a moments hesitation she replies... "Go to the mall."
Huh? I just did a double take because we could count the number of times Abby has gone to the mall on her fingers & toes and still have at least a hand and foot left.
Other random conversation pieces this week:
From friend Taylor..."If money was not an issue I'd move to New Zealand and live in a hobbit hole."
Sam..."I love you Abby! Do I?"
The rest of the carpool crew debated whether or not snails have hair (according to Wesley J they have a lot...you just can't see it.)
Sarah enjoyed grossing me out in the early morning hours by relating disgusting science facts about which creepy crawly things shed their skin.
And Emily made Claire laugh so much she snorted which had us all cracking up and our friend Bug demanding that Claire "Do it again!". Which was really funny because Claire had no idea what we were talking about.
Rob & I had a date last night...(thanks for coming over and hanging out Jordan). Panera Bread used to have a mushroom sandwich that I was hoping to yum down but I was doomed to disappointment. They got rid of it for some tomato yucky thing...bummer. I did however get a new cd out of the evening... Robert Plant & Alison Kraus teamed up for an amazing duet album...very cool.
So have you been to Cordova Mall lately? Simon Mall Co. is sinking mega bucks into a face lift inside & out. Classy store fronts & nicer restaurants and the inside! Man, oh man have they updated the look! The food court area is huge with great architectural lines and curvy, sporty looking chairs. The potty area is now called...get this...the restroom lounge. (I actually high five them here...nice roomy stalls...no more trying to squeeze yourself & a toddler into a miniature closet hoping for the best.)
They also have these really great sitting areas with low couches and chairs that just beg to be used. You still have the low end cheap stores like Ross' but they have added a bunch of high end places like Cold Water Creek and Chicos. They...whoever "they" may be...have done a superb job in marketing and updating the look of the mall.
But you know what? It's the same over priced, must have, trendy here-today-replaced-by-something-even-trendier-tomorrow, gimme, narcissistic playground that it's always been. It's still vanity fair...just in a more current & fashionable package.*

We left & went to Barnes & Noble ;-)

*Just so no-one is thinking I sound all judgemental and better than that...yes, I know I was there...and I probably will be again at some point...but I think I'm going to adopt more of Rob's "hunting" mode when I have to go...get in, find what you need, get out.

2 comments:

WunderBoy said...

I loved the part where Claire snorted and you all started laughing! That is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Yep, Snorting happens with us too.
we use to crack up laughing harder
from the snort. Laughter, Good for the soul! I can't do the mall thing
unless I know exactly what I want to do or what I'm looking for, at the right price, of course.
I get headaches being there too long. Two hours is very long for me.
WK