To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Life Lessons from Photography

Several weeks ago Rob and I prayed that God would not let us be mediocre...not mediocre believers' living our faith, not be a mediocre husband & wife...nor mediocre parents. We prayed that we would live like we believe what we say we believe...this all stemmed from a sermon he preached from the book of Acts. Have you read there lately? Go on...do it...but know that it can change your life. And change is hard...and it hurts...but at the same time it's so sweet...and blessedly humbling.
I can't begin to tell you all the things that have happened to us since we prayed that prayer. We have had to make some difficult personal decisions as things in our hearts have been sifted and sorted. We've been pushed to the edges of what we believe and back again...testing the foundation and finding out if we really believe all the things we say we believe.
It's been interesting going through this is as a family...a couple...and just alone between ourselves and our God. I'm being reminded of how important my focus is...and what happens...what I miss...when it's off. I don't know if this has ever happened to you, but I'm realizing all the time I've spent thinking about the things I'm not...but wishing I was...instead of knowing fully who I am...what I am...and all the strengths and weaknesses therein.
Focus...correct focus...can make all the difference in what we see.

4 comments:

Heather Paulding said...

That is a lovely photograph! I have a new business called Spunky Sensations and if you could look at my blog give me some feedback via e-mail I would appreciate it.

s g said...

I get a little pit in my stomach thinking about this in my own life.

However, thank y'all for providing the example.

Sam's Family said...

Oh the pit is a standard part of the prayer...you can just ask for the pit if you're at a loss for words :-)

WunderMom said...

la la la la laaaa...
...I can't hear you...