To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, September 29, 2008

Colossians 3:17

It's Monday morning, not yet 7:30 and as I made my bed I started going through the list in my head of all the stuff I, and we as a family, have going on in the next few weeks. Play dates, sewing projects, four or five photography related outings, fall festival at school and my niece's wedding...and...and...the list goes on. My muscles were beginning to tighten up like a runner getting into position for the start of a race...I began to draw in deeper breathes to ease the pressure in my chest that grew heavier with each activity that I tacked onto the list.
Sitting for a moment with a cup of coffee, listening to the quiet sounds of the neighborhood in the morning and checking my email, I find this little gem:

“Busy-ness ruins relationships.
It substitutes shallow frenzy for deep friendships.
It promises satisfying dreams, but delivers hollow nightmares.
It feeds the ego, but starves the inner man.
It fills the calendar, but fractures the family.
It cultivates a program, but plows under priorities.”
–Anonymous

Now there isn't much on my list that I can chunk...but I can resolutely attend each thing as a task kept in focus...not giving it more or less importance that it deserves...turning to the One who is the peace of my heart...making my purpose with each activity and every thought to bring honor to Him...to display His character accurately to my family and friends...to love as He loved despite the business of life.
So, I don't know where you are at as you begin this week...but I pray that if you need to...take a deep breathe and check your focus and see what you've made important for this week...and then
"Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the LORD Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through him."

8 comments:

sj said...

Practicing the presence of the Lord and learning to live in His rest. Good stuff!

Ain't it great we can work and not be worked over or need to get worked up (even if we get worked out)?

Have a good and godly day (I'd say week but it's a one day at a time process because each today has all I can consider designed within).

Anonymous said...

I would definitely say one day at a time because even though I have
certain things planned, God may
have a different plan for me.
Blessings!
WK

Lauren said...

Amen sista. I feel the same way some times. I do have to take those deep breaths. Thanks for the reminder to bring my focus back to Him when it gets so crazy. Love you. We had fun last night. :)

Donna said...

Might it be better in the future to actually have LESS things on the list to begin with? There are many days that are filled with REAL "must-do's"; but then there are days that have "must-do's only because we were not willing to say no or because we temporarily shifted our priorities...

WunderMom said...

I needed to hear this. Thank you.

Sam's Family said...

Donna you are soooooo right...I've actually gotten myself in a place where I have over extended...the turning point has come because of my wonderful husband saying..."Yea, enough is enough." I think he was surprised I didn't have an issue with it...but honestly, it was relief to say "You're right...I'm finished." This last leg wraps up most of the main tasks that will be the most time/emotionally consuming.
Will be much wiser in the future and not hesitate to say sorry, but I can't.

s g said...

Just vote no ;)

I needed this today and was glad I read it fairly early. I find my busy-ness often takes me from my home or from loving my home.

I like the quote, "it feeds the ego, but starves the inner man."

thank you.

Sam's Family said...

Yea, that was really appropriate for me :-)