To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, August 22, 2008

Sweetness

One of the sweetest things about toddler-ness is the way they sound when learning to talk. (It is also funny to me how quickly children learn to say the word "no".) Claire is providing much laughter for our family as her language skills develop. And a certain amount of mortification due to her lack of prowess with particular letter sounds. The first time she asked to "sit" I almost washed her mouth out with soap...and if we ever eat in front of other people we quickly supply all eating utensils because you would not believe how misunderstood the word "fork" can be.
Anyway, one of our favorite things to hear from her are the names of her siblings: Rah, Mim-me, Babby, and Sam-me. We were all very sad to hear her brother's name...until last night he was Nammy. I also love hearing her say "Yash, ser."
BeckyJ you will just melt when you hear her say "Sesley". It also makes us smile to hear her ask for our friend Yarwen (Lauren) and her boys New (Andrew) and Yawn (John).
Combine that sweet little voice with those big blue eyes & curly blond hair and it's no wonder the child is spoiled rotten. Of course her demanding, I'm-a-princess-you-are-here-to-serve me tendency should keep her from becoming too spoiled. I hope.

0 comments: