To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, August 4, 2008

Happy Monday!

You know the saying, "Possession is nine tenths of the law"? Well, I'm wondering if attitude is nine tenths of the day? Last week was a week full of attitude adjusting in my life. It started with Rob's sermon on the scandal of the resurrection...it was challenging and convicting. Which means the wheels came off the bus so to speak. Besides the sermon I was reading a book that shed a little light into the dark corners of my heart.





It's called "Big Girls Don't Whine" and a friend loaned it to me. Of course she said she wasn't giving it to me because she thinks I'm a whiner...yea, right...whatever. I have a few points of disagreement with the authors view of free will but that is another topic for another day. Chapter three was especially thought provoking. Two favorite quotes: "Making the choice to pursue maturity can fix a lot of what is broken in your life, even when you don't recognize your brokenness." and "Your capacity to think is your greatest asset. Mature thinking produces mature living."
I'm glad I read it...despite a few emails to my friend declaring otherwise...and I'm glad I read it when I did. So if you need a little reality check and self examination I recommend the book. This is what I am planning to read next...I'll let you know how it goes.
Like the changes to the blog? If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page you'll find the address for a site of free, wonderful backgrounds. I had so much fun this morning picking and choosing which one to use. (It's very simple to do.) A good place to find more free blog stuff and links for free blog stuff can be found at the cutest blog on block. I've been listening to this a lot the last few days...
Plumb is a favorite
group and this is a lullaby cd of sorts...soothing music and gorgeous vocals.
I'm going to be doing a word study of sorts this week. One of the Scripture readings in church yesterday was from 2 Peter 1:5-8,
"For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our LORD Jesus Christ."
Those things can keep you from being ineffective and unfruitful...this is something I need to know about.
Well, as riveting as I know this is for everyone, I need to go finish up some house stuff. Swap some laundry around, order the girls school uniforms and get ready for my regular Monday lunch with two sweet friends.
Have a happy, blessed Monday!

3 comments:

Lori Warman said...

Hey Girl, I have been reading Un-Christian, it was introduced to us by our Associate Pastor. Verrrrry ineresting. To say the leaste. I have learned alot. Enjoy!!!!

Sam's Family said...

I finished the first two chapters last night...what stands out:
Christians have become more known for what we are against rather than who we are for.
Sad.

Lori Warman said...

For me too. When I say I have learned alot; I don't neccesarily mean, it was enjoyable, somewhat discouraging rather, but there is hope.....read on sister!!!