To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fun Stuff

According to Sitter City the going rate for a sitter for five kids in my area is $11.75. (Jordan if you're reading this stop right now!) Who can afford that?! Let's say dinner and a movie are the plans so four hours would cost me basically $50 for the sitter...on top of the $10 spent on the dollar value menu at Wendy's because that would be all we could afford...and the $40 for movie tickets & popcorn so my night out is going to cost about $100...yikes! Even dropping the popcorn and smuggling candy into the theater wouldn'tbring the price down enough in my opinion. (And, ummm...we would never smuggle candy into the theater...no, sirree, we wouldn't.)
But if I really, really needed to get out I could probably afford date night because it turns out my blog is worth $1,693.62. How this is all configured I really don't know but I think that amount could put the large tub of popcorn into my greedy little hands.
Of course I could just stay home and play with bubble wrap, or get creative on an etch-a-sketch, or play the old faithful boredom buster Boomshine.

4 comments:

JG said...

ok, so I am weird- bubble wrap is a gift in my house!!! Charlie will bring some home to me and it is like Christmas... course I have to go sparingly on it-make it last till the next batch comes in (well, once I splurged and popped the whole thing)
does this count as one of my issues?

Sam's Family said...

Yep, JG it does count as an issue...may you enjoy the virtual wrap :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, If JG has an issue with
bubble wrap, I confess too. My
daughter and I would challenge
each other to see who could pop the most air bubbles. It's just relaxing after a rough day.
And I DID smuggle candy in the theater years ago.
WK

s g said...

I couldn't get to the link to find out how much my blog was worth. In terms of time well spent, I probably would have profited more by popping bubble wrap. :) Don't know which is more addicting.