To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, July 26, 2008

You Know It's Bad...

when even your husband comments that it's been a while since the last blog post. I wish I could say I haven't written anything because all these amazing, wonderful things have been happening. But the truth is that ordinary, blessed life has been meandering along...not a bad thing if you can view the differences like shooting the rapids and a lazy float down the river. Both are good and have their place but too much of either one can be wearing.
So what has been going on with us?
Abby went for shots in preparation for starting school. She's behind because frankly we didn't do the immunization thing for years. A personal choice that some people will ether get or not...just as the fact that we are now getting shots will be something that people will either agree or disagree with. Personally, I never knew you could question the whole thing but it turns out you can...and my official position: Don't do it just because you think you have to...study, read and make an informed decision for your family.
Me...
stepping off
the soapbox.
Okay, what else? Emily is still doing the farm thing and loving it. She might even have the opportunity to hang out with some people who have horses...her true obsession. Sarah is loving the whole teenage world. Involved in various youth activities which she thoroughly enjoys doing with Rob. Our church likes/encourages/plans for the parents to be a part of everything and he seems to be the one who goes most often with her. I don't mind...at this age I want her to spend loads of time with her Daddy so she can compare every young man around her to him.
Sam is doing fine. His writing and drawing skills have made an impressive leap...no more stick people...they have a form and shape now. He is developing his own view of what is neat and acceptable in handwriting and will actually erase stuff now rather than throw away the paper and start from scratch. (Rain forest all over the world heave a sigh of relief.) Claire, as it turns out, is a wicked little sinner. We had the pleasure of keeping a friend's two little boys yesterday. Claire was happy for about two minutes and then realized they were encroaching on her cuteness-I'm-the-center-of-the-world turf and promptly began defending said turf. It was not pretty...but we all made it through with out any wounds and only a few beatings.
Rob is well but tired after a long, crazy week. He's pretty jazzed about the report our good friend Jonny gave the church on the feasibility of a Bible college. Several men have expressed a desire to see it come to fruition and that is encouraging.
One of my most fav blogs is up and running again...mutiny on the high sea is sailing again. It's such a fun place to visit. Right now she has a link up for a quiz to see how you rank as a 1930's wife. I brag only a little when I say I fell in the superior range. What can I say? I have a wonderful husband. I did answer truthfully to questions like whether or not I cry, sulk and pout too much (yes) and if I am dainty, perfumed, and feminine for my man (snort) and whether my hair is always neatly combed or shampooed and waved (does it count if my hair is ruthlessly yanked back into a hair clip?) Of course I might have had to answer differently last week if I had had been asked questions like whether or not I like children and if I whine and complain but hey, that was last week!

2 comments:

s g said...

I wanna go with Emily! lucky girl!

WunderMom said...

Sheesh, it's about time!

Glad to see the update, even though I knew all this. Except the fact that you scored "superior" on the quiz. Even without red toenails?? :-)