To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, June 27, 2008

There is a wonderful world out there of believers that think it is our right and responsibility to restore the beauty of God's created order...to teach young men to be protectors and assume responsibility for their families...to teach younger women to embrace and love their role as helpmeet...for Christians to not merely point fingers and denounce a godless culture but rather reclaim the culture for the glory of God.
I struggle with this because my own mind has been shaped and warped by a convoluted double standard. Our country's church culture is a mixed bag of humanism and spiritualism that says one thing but is lived out in complete opposition to the reality of true Truth. I wish I could articulate it better but there also lies my struggle.
Which is why I am so excited about the DVD give away over at
www.heartsforfamily.blogspot.com They are hosting a drawing for a set of Vision Forum's "Reclaiming the Culture". You can read their review of the 7 volume DVD set and enter for your own chance to win. (It's the June 23 post.)
I did. I'm hoping to learn something, to get some language to help me better articulate what I think is good and true and right way to raise our children. I hope you'll go visit their site even if you don't much care about the DVD set. It will be an interesting experience.

1 comments:

The White's said...

Marty,
I visit that blog and many on their blogroll. Good stuff! I am going over there to register now. Thanks