To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Me & Him

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word."
Ephesians 5:25 & 26
If there is anything noteworthy about me as a wife it is due to the fact that Rob doesn't just know what this verse says he lives it. The man loves me to pieces and not just the "I wanna make you happy" kind of love. He once spent two and a half hours setting stuff up on the computer so that I could watch "Scarecrow & Mrs. King" so yea, he does want to make me happy...but there is more to it than that. He gives himself for me...not just time and sweet things but he's willing to give himself to the hard task of confronting my sin. And let me tell you, as wickedly painful as it is to have your husband tell you that you aren't nearly as submissive as you think you are...that you are downright rebellious...it is just as painful for him to have to say it. But when it's done with the attitude of the above Scripture passage as motivation some of the stings eases.
I am so well loved as to be positively spoiled by it. I am so welled loved that I want to stand up and shout at other husbands to love their wives in the same way. I am so well loved that when I see or hear a husband fail to love his wife by confronting her sin my heart is saddened. She'll never be all the wife she can be until he is willing to love her that way.
Nine years ago Rob asked me what I expected from him...from us. I told him I expected everything. I haven't been disappointed. "Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." (Eph. 3:20 & 21)
Happy anniversary to us :-)

0 comments: