To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Five Reasons I Celebrate Mother's Day

Sweet baby Claire. We were so sure our family was complete. Then the surprise! I still remember seeing Rob's face when I showed him the pregnancy test...him saying, "I'm gonna be okay about this. It's just gonna take a few minutes." Through her sparkling blue eyes, big smile and personality she has added so much joy to our family...so much that we didn't know we were missing but God did. And He gave us her.



Abigail Christine...she is my fast talking fashion diva. She asks at least once a week to wear her dress up shoes and princess crown to church on Sunday. Instead of butterscotch pudding she always asks for hopscotch pudding. She is probably the most carefree and happy of the children. She always wants to help and is so tenderhearted. She makes me smile and sigh with exhaustion.




Sam. What do I say about this great kid God has given our family? I love his sense of humor and the way that he looks at things so completely different than just about everyone else. He challenges me because I can't just do the minimum or give the short answer. He needs a little more and it pushes me to be a better Mom.




Emily Grace...aka Weeters. Of all the kids she is the most like her Daddy. Quiet but that same wittiness and sense of timing. She'll crack the family up without even trying...is actually funnier when she isn't trying. She tends to keep things close to her heart and doesn't share her thoughts and feelings easily. But when she does it is a priceless gift.





Sarah. I had a sudden flashback last night of her as a toddler...big brown eyes and curls playing in the tub. She takes my breath away as a young woman. I wasn't half the person she is when I was her age. Watching as she grows in her faith and into womanhood is an amazing journey that is only beginning. I can only imagine the woman He is shaping her to be.
So those are my five reasons for celebrating Mother's Day. They are a treasure beyond compare. Alternately making me laugh, groan in frustration, or cry over the amount of laundry they generate. But always filling my heart with a joy that is indescribable.

1 comments:

s g said...

Your five children have one great reason to celebrate mother's day - so far, you have let them all live. :)

You are a wonderful mom and your enjoyment of your children is endearing.