To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Keeping Busy

Rob left in the wee hours of Monday morning heading for Kentucky and the Together for the Gospel conference. I don't like being apart from my beloved spouse...I freely admit, confess and declare that I am a great big baby and like to have him home each and every night. However, there are times when I must put on my big girl undies and cope. So in an effort to make this week go by as quickly as possible I gave myself several monumental tasks to complete. It also helped to collapse into bed too physically exhausted to pay much attention to the fact that his big, warm body wasn't next to mine. Naturally I slept on his side of the bed :-)
Anyway, back to my monumental tasks. With help from the wonderful Johnson family we were able to clean up the yard. You know...that first of the season Spring clean up that requires all sorts of yard implements, serious large muscle work and a trip or two to the dump? Yea, that's the one I'm talking about. For a girl who didn't cut her first yard until she was twenty five I really got into it. I have some mad clipping skills and the only reason that bush by the mail box is slightly crooked is because I lacked the upper body strength and proper angle to lob off some of those thicker limbs. I did discover that I have zero talent and skill with the weed wacker...using that thing is just beyond me.
Thanks to Taylor and his pressure washing job the house is all sparkly clean. But, my dear friends, that is not my major coup. No, my piece de resistance is.... drum roll please...


I. Cleaned. My. Garage.

I was ruthless. I showed no mercy and took no prisoners. I gave away...I threw away...I condensed three giant tubs of fabric into one neatly organized small hoard. (Okay, I feel guilty about the stash of fabric so I guess I'll be doing some sewing soon...ladies we'll be making bags and the most adorable aprons.)
And yes I can park my van inside the garage! The children are awestruck. I am so proud I dragged my neighbor over to see. Of course the girls had to leave the house this morning through the garage so Susan could see too. I'm shameless.
But it worked. The last four days have flown by, some very needed chores have been tended too and I worked so hard I lost four pounds.
I figure when Rob goes to Honduras in June I'll remodel the house and drop twenty pounds :-)









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!
Kudos to you girlfriend.!!
I might talk to Lee about hiring you to do our shop. (Just kidding)
But, I am going to show Lee your
fabulous garage picture. Matter of fact, I'm working on our garage today too.
Glad Pastor is home safe and sound
along with the other guys.
WK

WunderMom said...

Well?? Has Rob seen it yet? What was his reaction? Do you win Wife of the Year award?

And most importantly...will you come clean my garage? :-)

Anonymous said...

Soooooo...did you find that Baby Shower card that you told me was in the garage?..lol It should have been with all of the other baby shower stuff hehehe
Marla