To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Life Happens

Sunday
"Momma, why are we going to KMart?"
"We're not honey. Mommy ran a red light and I'm being pulled over."
I won't bore you with all the details of the conversation that transpired between myself and the police officer but it was mingled with Sam asking the man if there was a bathroom in KMart because he had a feeling he needed to go, Em asking me if I had ever had this happen before, and Abby declaring we were probably going to be late for church.

Monday
Cleaned house and did most of the laundry...feeling pretty proud in my accomplishments until Sarah asked for the one uniform shirt that hadn't been washed that day...arrgh.

Tuesday
This day was interesting...there aren't a lot of ways I can contribute to the girl's classes but when the school has a need for some pictures I can usually handle it. Only yesterday I left before I had finished all of them...not very professional for the photographer to have to turn around and come back to finish the job is it? Of course that was before I fell and twisted my ankle...not that the seniors noticed...I refused to limp in front of them...until I had to cut short the picture taking because Sarah ran up to tell me Claire had pooped out her diaper...I'm pretty sure I limped my way to the van then.

Wednesday
Now you might think I would be afraid to even get out of bed today. And I probably would be if not for the wonderful things seen and learned in last night's ladies Bible study on Ruth (Thank you very much Sheryll Jo). In chapter 1 verse 9 the word rest is used...but it is rest as a noun...a place where peace, quiet and trust are present. The in verse 12 of chapter 2 a beautiful blessing is given for the one who seeks refuge (...literally in reference to seeking the shade of a tree...) from the LORD, the God of Israel.
So today I am going to sit in that place of rest...with my tender little puffy ankle propped up as much as possible...and thank God for hiding me under his wing when my whole world goes crazy.

"I could write my name by the age of three and I don't need anyone to cut my meat for me. I'm a big girl now, see my big girl shoes. It'll take more than just a breeze to make me
Fall over, fall over, fall overboard, overboard."
Ingrid Michaelson (my new favorite musician)
Life happens...but I'll be just fine.

3 comments:

s g said...

(rub, rub...pat, pat) There, There... it'll be okay... :)

Jessica said...

Marty,
I wanted to call you last night after church because 1.) I had heard that you twisted your ankle and 2.) I wanted to see you before I went back to Alabama. Life does happen and I am so glad that you see the need for crawling beneath His wings... Your response to your crazy week (thus far crazy...I do hope it settles down) has been wonderful for me to view and to contemplate because it has allowed me to see someone give glory to God even amidst the harshness of this life.

:)
Thank you.

Love,
jessica

Sunny said...

At any rate, you are a wonderful writer. You had me giggling... although unfortunately at your expense. I do hope your ankle is better. And I think somehow somebody has wired into those stinkin stoplights... they sneak up on ya. I know.