To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What is the deal?

It's no secret that I take pictures...lots and lots of pictures...as a matter of fact in the sixteen days of this year I have taken almost seven hundred...yes, you read that correctly...seven...zero...zero. (Now you might think that I have a problem...but considering my laundry is all caught up and I am not neglecting other household or mothering duties I figure I'm doing okay. I don't think Rob has any complaints...do you honey?)
Back to the point of this post...while I may not be an Annie Leibovitz or an Ansel Adams I am learning and developing skills...I have even been paid for them. I have captured wedded bliss in still frames...I have immortalized newborns and pregnant tummies...engagements...senior pictures...sports teams...family gatherings...pardon the pun...but you get the picture right? I am...in a modest amateur fashion...a photographer.
But one thing eludes me...one task has me completely stumped...despite my best efforts and planning. I cannot get a good group photograph of my own kids!
It's true...I can use all my tricks and persuasive powers on groups of other people but they are worthless and unsuccessful with my own brood. Individually we're fine...beautiful portraits of each one...but the group things just isn't coming together.
That being said it is usually a lot of fun to try the group picture...lots of giggles and silliness...thank goodness for the digital camera so I can keep playing...er working at it...yea working at it.

4 comments:

WunderMom said...

I love it! What a great picture! I see Miss Claire scooted herself out of line...and Miss Abby looks like she's in mid-thought.

Love those sweet kiddos!

And I am in awe of your photography skills, girlfriend. You are talented, for sure. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Marty,
You and Rob make beautiful children(me too)... They are just as cute as they can be... Love the picture..
love you guys too
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Those babes are so precious. Great pics.

Hrobbins

rosemarie said...

Marty,
Great picture! I love it!