To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lamaze Daze

Greek feast and mythology...George Washington Carver and cowboy days...spelling test...history test...Latin...book reports...at home it's abc's and numbers...handwriting...laundry...dishes...story time...baby love and knock knock jokes...Sam's current favorite:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Uhmm...monkey
Monkey who?
Monkey underpants (laughs uproariously)
I had a moment of panic Friday...my old world with all it's changes and the new outside world were looming large...in an effort to maintain some kind of grip on rational thought I reverted to my Lamaze breathing techniques...you know...that method of breathing...that slight of hand trick...that does nothing to stem to sensations but gives you something else to focus on so you feel like you are in control? There I was sitting at the desk reading the Magistra Nuntius and Parent Epistula (for my Latin challenged friends that is teacher announcements and note to parents) breathing in and out like I was in the home stretch of delivery.
Here's what I'm hoping for...you remember in math when we learned about Venn diagrams...you know the one with gently overlapping circles...you could fancy it up with colors that blended together...everything neat and organized...can you feel the yearning?
As all the children got up at 6:oo am this morning I am resigned to the fact that my venn diagram will probably look more like a collision of cosmic proportions.
But it's okay right?
I still remember my Lamaze.

3 comments:

WunderMom said...

Oh, Marty! Just reading this has me doing the lamaze breathing with you! Sending internet hugs your way...
By this time next year you'll be encouraging me as I have my panic attacks! :)

You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength. (And so can they!) Remind me of this in 9 months.

See you tonight, girlfriend!
Love you,
Becky-Sue

s g said...

Yeah, Becky-Sue is right... in Lamaze they teach you to have a focal point and yours if Christ... :)

You nursed me at our "childbirth" - we'll nurse you know.

Anonymous said...

I echo what wundermom just said
Marty. You have to read SLLOWWW.
Hang in there gal you'll be teaching Latin before it's all over. And just think, the younger kids will learn just from listening. Pretty cool huh?
Have a good day.
momak