To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing

Just to get everybody up to speed I had a cd made as a Christmas gift for my sisters...full of all kinds of songs I remember from our childhood. (Sorry you haven't gotten your copy Sister...next time I'm in P'cola I'll get it to you.) When I started the project the song list was long and brought a flood of memories to mind but I managed to narrow it down to twenty plus two bonus tracks (thanks Llyod). Certain songs were specific to a sibling...for Sister Donny Osmond pleads for the little girl to go away...Toni Marie actually had two hits just for her...Sweet Nuthin's by Brenda Lee and there was no way to leave off Kenny Rogers' heart breaking Lucille. The Rhinestone Cowboy holds a special place in my childhood affections. Yes, there is a special song just for Sherry but I'll share that in a moment.
Besides the wonderful nostalgia the cd evokes it is also becoming a source of new memories...my kids beg me to play it. I have no idea if they just love the glimpse into Mommy's childhood or if it is just a point of ridicule that they're bonding over but they are enjoying it. (And let's face it...Melanie singing about her Brand New Key may offer me a flash back to adolescence but in the 21st century it does beg to be mocked.) They like Leader of the Pack by Shangri Las and Rockin Robin by the Jackson Five. Of course Brick House by the Commodores has long been a favorite complete with a dance choreographed by Sam.
But so far...without a doubt the one that gets the biggest response from them all...including Claire...is Sherry's song. That's right ladies and gentlemen...Barry Manilow and Copacabana reign supreme...it is guaranteed to get the groove going. It has even spawned a new version:
Her name is Claire Bear
And she's a cranky baby...
Go ahead...admit it...you're singing to the tune aren't you?
I'm probably scarring my children for life...I mean how many kids their age know The Things We Do For Love by the 10 CC's? And trust me...there is no way you can truthfully vouch for the moral character of Rupert Holmes after your twelve year old hears Escape (aka the Pina Colada Song).
Be that as it may...we're turning up the cd player and busting a move in the living room...and making some new memories to some oldies but goodies.

5 comments:

s g said...

oh my goodness.

Just when I got the songs out of my head from you mentioning them yesterday... and here they are again.

WunderFamily said...

Now I have to see Claire Bear dancing to her new favorite song!

Yes, we've ruined our kids as well. Some of their favs are Fleetwood Mac, Chicago, Steely Dan, Paul McCartney & Wings, The Police, etc. Maybe they'll forgive us when we're old and infirm?

Lloyd said...

Yes you are all a couple weeks late. My Children of course owe a debt of gratitude to you Morty for requesting the task and we went through the same thing just before Christmas. You should see Ivy put her hands on the back of her head and dance to brick house and wiggle her hips and sing
"bow-chicka-wow-wow", definetely video worthy although I don't think the memory will ever leave the siblings memory. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you, it was a little gift to me as well. Lori

Anonymous said...

I love you mommy!

Rob said...

"bow-chicka-wow-wow"? I thought it was "shake it down, shake it down now." Neither make much sense, I guess.

I will say that hearing these songs echoing through our house is at the same time amusing, embarrassing, nostalgic and, well, embarrassing some more.

A lot of laughs have been generated, so it has been well worth it to endure some of the worst music of the past four decades.