To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Thought For Today

We have good kids...I have people stop me all the time when they see my brood at the grocery store and compliment me how well behaved they are...I used to just shrug and smile and say thank you...then one day I realised how much work we put into it and I began to respond with "Thank you, we work very hard in private so we can go out in public."
Yesterday I was visiting with two girlfriends and we were discussing the work involved...and we all agreed that we are a bunch of slackers sometimes and that we need constant help, support and encouragement so that the standard isn't just being met in public or private but is alive and well within the hearts. Sometimes it is flat out hard...sometimes I am so lazy that I'll settle just for good kids in public so I'm not embarrassed...or just for the praise because my heart is full of pride.
Our family is beginning a new era...for the first time in the fall I will not be a full time homeschooling mom...Sarah, Emily and Abigail are going to Trinitas in Pensacola. I'm excited for all of us...it is already beginning to have a profound effect on our family. The standard is very high there...and lots of people are at work helping to make it alive and good in our hearts and minds...
"God calls his creatures to live under authority.
He is our authority and has vested authority in people within the institutions he has established.
You must not be embarrassed to be authorities for your children.
You exercise authority as God’s agent.
You may not direct your children for your own agenda or convenience.
You must direct your children on God’s behalf for their good."
-Tedd Tripp, Shepherding a Child’s Heart

My favorite line is high lighted...I can not direct my children for my own agenda or convenience...I'll be thinking on that one for a while.

0 comments: