To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Farewell Oswald

Blame it on my Mother but for me the decorations go either Christmas night or the day after. The fun of making decorations and putting up the tree are great but I have discovered that by the time all the holiday hoopla is said and done that it is nice to get my house back together...sweetly quiet with the lingering laughter and joy swirling in our heads.

For those of you who don't read Rob's blog let me share a little blip about our tree...Compliments of Sam our somewhat sad looking and well used tree has an identity this year. His name is Oswald and the decorations are his costume...the star on top is his hat. When I was taking the tree down yesterday Sam came in and asked if I was putting Oswald to bed. Pretty much buddy...until next year.

This week is the one we will all spend thinking of the past...good memories and bad...mistakes and glories...regret and anticipation. For our house...for me personally...it has been a year of learning...of repentance...of change. There are some failures that I am eager to forget and some successes that give me hope...but I can't live there...no wallowing in the self pity of what ifs or if onlys...no pride in past deeds and accomplishments or reliving the glory days of 2007. Instead I will look forward...anticipate the journey ahead even though I can't see where it will take me...and this time next year I will be here again...in my head and mind pondering all that has come...waiting for what will be...putting an old year to bed.

I think Psalm 145 will play a large part in my life in the new year...
"The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The LORD is good to all, and His mercy is over all that He has made." verses 8 & 9
Read the whole chapter...it's good...and put the old year to bed with confidence and look to the new year with hope because the LORD is righteous in all His ways and kind in all His works.

3 comments:

sj said...

FRESH MERCYS

Oh, to 08 we go
Looking forward to what
We don't know.

But to the Lord
we can be sure
He will always keep His Word.

WunderFamily said...

Yeah, I took down the tree and decorations the day after. It felt good. I dusted. And stuff.

JG said...

The tree is still up and twinkling lights are of course, still twinkling. Maybe it will come down before Feb! If the house was big enough we would leave it up year round. (our longest tree time was till September) after a super typhoon.
Happy New Year!!!
Love you all