To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fair Day

Somewhere...possibly in a gaping black hole...are some pictures of four little girls at the fair. Although the actual pictures are hard to put my hands on the memories in my heart and mind of childhood visits to the fair were in sharp focus on Saturday when we took the kids. The sights and smells sent me back in time to smacking my head on glass walls in the fun house...screaming like a banshee on the roller coaster with my big sister and cousin...riding the swings with my Dad...the Scrambler...anyone else remember the song Crack That Whip blasting out of the speakers on the Himalaya? On and on the memories go...
New ones were made with my own children...Sarah being oh so cool but loving every minute of being spun and flipped around...Emily pretending she isn't scared so she can hit the big rides with Sarah...Sam and Abby just laughing and having a blast...Claire just taking it all in.
It was a good day. Check out the slide show below...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went with the gkids to the SC state Fair the week before last. It was a blast - but the new memories for me include fried twinkies and fried milky way bars. Now some things do improve with time!

But only gpa rode the rides until his ashen appearance got gma's 'you're grounded!'.

Yet as I stood watching all the fun, screaming and laughter, I wondered, when did I grow up and become the holder of water bottles, things that fall out of pockets and source of 'endless' change. :)

SJ

s g said...

It looks like y'all had a great time!

My memories of the fair are cool nights, quiet exhibits (my favorite part now), and animal smells...

Now y'all are making memories for your kids... :)