To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Girlfriends

Other than the most obvious definition for the word girlfriend the dictionary describes it as a "woman's woman friend"...something I think sounds all together bland and boring...and deadly dull sounding...the definition not the actual friend...although I guess some out there must be deadly dull and boring because we all know people who are deadly dull...but certainly not our girlfriends.
Anyway I had the opportunity to spend the day with three of my most favorite girlfriends...Susan, Becky and our long distance (all the way from Spain!) friend Jennifer who is in town for the week. And this is why I can say that the dictionary doesn't do the word justice...you laugh with a girlfriend...you cry...you vent...you unload...you encourage...you strengthen...you keep each other on the narrow way...you point each to Christ...and sometimes you get to do it over a yummy lunch and a pedicure. "A woman's woman friend..." hrumph...(that by the way is how you spell the sound that a snort makes...uhmm...is...the sound that a snort is.)
I loved spending the day with you all...what a triple blessing God has given me.

3 comments:

s g said...

I know being YOUR friend is never dull or boring!

I had a wonderful time (and have received two unsolicited comments on my pretty "fall" nails... :) )

Becky - I think we'll just hold our DFIS hostage... what do you think?

WunderFamily said...

I'm with you, SG. We'll dazzle her with lunches and manicures every day.

I had a blast, chickies. Long overdue. To quote Sarah, "I love you, man!"

Where to next?

JG said...

Ladies,
what can I say but ,"Outstanding idea!" It was wonderful day-food was excellent, pedicure and manicure marvelous, but best of all the company was superb! I can not thank you enough! It will have to hold me over till me meet again. Love you all!
Forever your DFIS